Data Science and Machine Learning are amongst the hottest skills that top employers across the world are actively hiring for. This article walks you through the very Best Data Science Courses, a list collated from insights by top industry professionals themselves.
A McKinsey & Co. study predicts that by 2018, the U.S. alone could face a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 “people with deep analytic skills” as well as 1.5 million “managers and analysts with the know-how to use the analysis of big data to make effective decisions.”
Thus, organizations are desperately looking for skilled professionals to meet the surge in demand. What’s more, they are ready to pay them extremely promising salaries; the average salary for a Google Mountain View Data Scientist is $164,604.
Skills Needed For Data Science
The first step is understanding the pre-requisites for making a career in Data Science, a step that young aspirants need to get right.
To get a good breadth of things and gain mastery in the fundamentals required to become a good Data Scientist, you need broadly to focus on the following:
You also need to pick some online MOOCs to start with Basics of Data Analysis & Visualization (i.e. importing data, data cleaning, data presentation and insights from data), SQL, along with acquainting yourself with the important tools used.
Best Data Science Courses
It is now possible, more than ever, to learn the hottest skills from top universities and renowned professors, without drowning yourself in debt and enrolling in an exorbitant full-time degree.
Even online courses from coveted universities like Stanford, MIT, University of Michigan etc. are now available for anyone who is a keen learner.
As an aspiring Data Scientist today, whether you are just a university student or a working professional who wants to switch domains or simply hone your current skills, you have an unprecedented opportunity to get access to the best education out there, right from the convenience of your home.
Since there is a high demand and low supply for Data Science, a myriad of certifications and e-learning courses, as well as mini degrees, have sprung up that offer little value.
With so many resources available, it is crucial to not get overwhelmed, remain focused on the end-goal, and choose the right course.
Try to steer clear of abortive and high priced courses and instead, focus on building a strong foundation through globally renowned sources like Coursera, Udemy, Edx, MIT Open Courseware, Udacity, Lynda, MIT Open Courseware, Open University etc.
We spoke to some Data Scientists from top companies on our(Free) Mentor Platform, to put in order a list of the most recommended courses that aspiring Data Scientists MUST consider.
Coursera Courses And Specializations for Data Science
Coursera is one of the very best options out there when it comes to acquiring Data Science and related skills.
You can learn from top faculties of the world’s best universities, have access to video lectures, interactive transcripts, quizzes, community discussion forums to connect to other learners(serves as a great resource!) and most importantly, actually implement your learnings with hands-on projects based on real-world problems.
If you know any Data Scientists, it’s highly likely that these will be the first courses they will recommend you to enrol in.
The Best Data Science courses and specializations from Coursera are as follows:
- The Stanford Machine Learning Specialization By Andrew Ng
- Data Science Specialization From Johns Hopkins University
- Mastering Machine Learning Fundamentals: University of Washington
- Big Data Specialization From University Of California San Diego
- Deep Learning Specialization by Andrew Ng
- Python Specialization From University of Michigan
- Specialization: Data Visualization With Tableau By UC Davis
- Statistics With R Specialization By Duke University
- Specialization: Data Structures and Algorithms By UCSD
Udemy Data Science Courses
Udemy is another highly recommended e-learning platform where you can find some genuinely insightful courses on Data Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Python, R, Statistics, Tableau etc.
A privilege that you get with Udemy course is that once you enrol in a course, you can have lifetime access to it and learn at your own pace on any device.
Udemy also has the advantage of very reasonably priced courses that offer immense value. Additionally, the platform promises a 30-day money back guarantee, which acts as a great reassurance in case you’re sceptical about enrolling in a certain course.
Highly Recommended Courses Which Are Also Reasonably Priced:
- Python For Data Science and Machine Learning Bootcamp
- Machine Learning A-Z: Hands-On Python & R In Data Science
- Data Science A-Z With Real-Life Data Science Exercises
- Deep Learning A-Z: Hands-On Artificial Neural Networks
- Complete Guide to TensorFlow for Deep Learning with Python
- Artificial Intelligence A-Z: Learning How To Build An AI
- Statistics for Business Analytics A-Z
- The Ultimate Hands-On Hadoop Learning And Mastering The Most Important Big Data Technologies
- R Programming A-Z: R For Data Science With Real Exercises
- Taming Big Data with Apache Spark and Python – Hands-On
- Tableau 10 A-Z: Hands-On Tableau Training For Data Science
Edx Courses For Data Science
Edx was founded by Harvard University and MIT in 2012 and stands as another e-learning platform which offers Ivy League education for free(only adding a verified certificate with the corresponding institution’s logo comes at a cost, which is also barely a fraction of the cost you would pay at a top university/institute).
Edx is considered an invaluable resource with video lectures from top professors at MIT, Harvard, UC Berkeley etc offering top class, high value learning to the masses.
It supplements its video lectures with interactive learning techniques like discussions, labs, quizzes etc. making it a truly alluring option for learners.
Recommended Edx Courses For Data Science Are As Follows:
- Microsoft’s Professional Program in Data Science
- Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python / MIT
- Introduction to Computer Science / Harvard University
- Data Science Essentials(Data visualization and exploration concepts, introduction to machine learning) / Microsoft
- The Analytics Edge / MIT
- Foundations of Data Analysis – Part 1: Statistics Using R / University Of Texas
- Foundations of Data Analysis – Part 2: Inferential Statistics / University Of Texas
- Introduction to Python for Data Science / Microsoft
- Introduction to Probability – The Science of Uncertainty / MIT
Other Data Science Courses To Explore
Some of the suggested ones being:
- Google’s Machine Learning Crash Course
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence / Stanford University by Udacity
- Courses from fast.ai
- Intro to Computer Science By Udacity
- Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning by Stanford
- Intro to Machine Learning by Udacity
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics by MIT
- Intro to Data Analysis by Udacity
- Data Analysis with R by Facebook by Udacity
- Statistics and probability by Khan Academy
What To Do Next?
Is finishing an online course in Data Science and earning a course completion certificate enough? Certainly not.
A certificate alone isn’t going to fetch you your dream job.
What’s important is to build mastery in a skill, be able to implement your learnings; put your knowledge to actual use by solving real-world problems.
Employers aren’t interested in that certificate of completion on your LinkedIn profile, but how you used that course to build something tangible. Thus, the work you do after that certification is what will give you an edge.
Get your hands dirty, start solving problems on Kaggle, contribute to open source projects, start with documentation if you have to and see what you can do.
Simultaneously, make sure you push all your code to GitHub where it is well documented. Large followings and repositories that are highly rated through the website’s star system are good indicators of developers whose work is well-regarded by others.
Further, demonstrate your passion with a blog or a website of your own; these can really set you apart from your competition and help recruiters evaluate your skills and understand how you can actually add value.
Have any questions?
Want to connect directly to Applied Machine Learning scientists or Data Scientists? Sign up for our Free Mentor Platform and get the help you need.Get Mentored By Data Scientists In Top Companies(Free)
What will you learn in 2018?
Which one of these ‘Best Data Science Courses’ have you taken/plan to take? How did they help you? What are you doing next?
Let us know in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!
Get a FREE copy of:
How To Get A Job At Google, Guide to being a Top Software Developer by a Pro, Hottest IT Skills and where to learn them, Getting to a Top University for Masters: Insights by Ivy League alumni, and more.
Leave your E-mail ID below: